Does frequent sipping of water help?

Yes, according to an article in Telegraph.

It is known that drinking water before eating helps overweight people to lose weight.

Also frequent sipping of water would help to meet the daily recommended intake of water. A significant proportion of population do not drink enough water.

References:

Water Intake, Water Balance, and the Elusive Daily Water Requirement. Lawrence E. Armstrong and Evan C. Johnson. Nutrients. 2018 Dec; 10(12): 1928.
Published online 2018 Dec 5. doi: 10.3390/nu10121928
PMCID: PMC6315424 (daily total water intake (TWI, L/24h) ˂1.8 L” may influence the risk of dysfunctional metabolism and chronic diseases.

Daily Telegraph. Why sipping water could help you lose weight.
Robert Pattinson did it for his role as Batman and bodybuilders do it before an event, but doctors advise a measured approach
By
Sharon Walker
6 March 2022 • 12:00pm

USA. About 80 percent of people’s total water comes from drinking water and beverages — including caffeinated beverages — and the other 20 percent is derived from food. women who appear to be adequately hydrated consume an average of approximately 2.7 liters (91 ounces) of total water — from all beverages and foods — each day, and men average approximately 3.7 liters (125 ounces) daily.

Effect of excessive water intake on body weight, body mass index, body fat, and appetite of overweight female participants. doi: 10.4103/0976-9668.136180
PMCID: PMC4121911
PMID: 25097411

Increased Hydration Can Be Associated with Weight Loss
Simon N. Thornton
Front Nutr. 2016; 3: 18. Published online 2016 Jun 10. doi: 10.3389/fnut.2016.00018
PMCID: PMC4901052

A word of caution applies to all ‘food/ drink and disease’ association reports. Almost every week there are newspaper reports of studies exploring associations between “various food/drink” with “various diseases” and “health”. Some of them are conflicting and confusing with a positive study followed by a negative study ! This news report is no different in that respect.